The Catharsis of Tarnation

In this weeks class we watched what was one of the best films I have watched in a long time, Jonathan Caouette’s Tarnation (2003):




After looking around the Internet for what other people thought of the movie, I found that a large segment of people felt the film was wholly narcissistic, distorted, and manipulative of Caouette’s family to a disturbing degree. I’ve included some of these reviews below:



But I take a very different stance on the issue. I don’t think its intention was to be passed off as a factual representation. This is showcased at the very beginning of the film, which reads, “Once upon a time…” Caouette was (in my opinion) clearly establishing that his perspective is hyperbolic. The above reviewers were probably too interested in their own narcissistic thoughts to pay attention to what was clearly in front of them.

I digress…

Although the concept of Tarnation may come across to some as a video scrapbook that simply chronicles Caouette’s story, I felt the film was something more like a poem or a song. That is to say the subject matter was open enough to allow audiences to experience it’s emotional exhibition, but also it was a therapeutic discharge for Caouette alone. I would argue the film’s purpose is to help soothe Caouette’s anxieties, as evidenced by Caouette’s self-diagnosed “depersonalization disorder.” It’s worth noting that Caouette was editing independently before John Cameron Mitchell began encouraging him to produce the film for an audience. Had Mitchell not encouraged Caouette to do so he still likely would have continued working on it purely for himself. I believe this speaks volumes about the films primary use being therapeutic.

Other critics have greatly praised the film’s emotional story. Tarnation undoubtedly revolves around an emotional story, but I think it would be unfair and inaccurate to reduce the film’s significance to this alone. The film is able to engage our emotions not just because of the inspiring story, but also because of the brilliant way in which it is directed and edited by Caouette. The filmmaker is able to create parallels between his own developing personality and the kaleidoscope images he presents to the audience. In combination with the impeccable song choices, these montages are nothing short of beautiful and engrossing.

Overall, I thought this was a fantastic movie. It complicates the notion of an autobiographical work by forgoing an entirely factual narrative, and instead better pins down the main character’s attributes through its editing techniques. This leaves the audience with the question of “Which is more truthful?” or “Which truth do I like best?” In the end, I regard Tarnation as an inspiring success at catharsis.

0 comments:

Post a Comment